Something that is omnipresent in our lives and never seems to go anyplace is negativity. From children all the way through adulthood negativity breeds like dandelions and there is no fertilizer strong enough to tame it. External negativity goes through your ears and eyes and straight to your heart. Worse still is internal negativity. It causes self-esteem to dip and drop, confidence to stagnate and drown you in the dreaded feelings of “not good enough“.
Does this sound like you? In the morning, do you jump up ready to go, feeling like a “day slayer” ready to make it happen and then get blindsided by the first person you see outside of your bedroom with their negative mindset and attitudes? Or perhaps it happens to you before you even leave the bedroom! Between the shower, the closet and the vanity mirror, do you sometimes bring the claws out? Are you your best friend when you start your day? Or if you were to be judged by the things you say under your breath would someone deem you the enemy?
If you answered yes, should you be alarmed? Straight talk? Yes. At least somewhat. Since the negativity is alive and well and out of your control from the outside, it is really important that you do what you can to protect yourself on the inside by simply dialing down the negativity.
Dance Negativity Away
When a dancer is in the zone there is no room for negativity. The art and practice of moving chases it away. So how can you embrace some of that for your life? Can you take up the tango or the waltz? There is a distinct possibility that might actually work. But instead of that, try this instead.
- Define. What are the negative dominant thoughts that you experience each day? If you define and acknowledge them they are easier to compartmentalize.
- Abbreviate. After you define and acknowledge what’s eating at you most, you are at a crossroads. Will you continue to give these thoughts a home? Or will you send them packing. It’s pretty hard to never think something that you have become accustomed to thinking every day. But can you shorten the time that you allow those thoughts to dominate?
- Nullify Untruth. Did you ever notice that sometimes you are completely lying about what is going on in your life? Statements like: “I’m so…” or “I never will…” or “I’m not…”, need to be nullified and neutralized. Cancel them out before they take root. They are simply too broadly stroked. When you find yourself telling lies, just stop. Not cute!
- Challenge. What happens after you nullify the blatant untrue statements but you are still left with a negative ball of threads and you are not sure what to do? That is when great questions come into play. Here are a couple I use in coaching:
- What evidence do you have to prove this statement?
- Give 5 examples of when that was true in the past 90 days.
- Give 5 examples of when that was completely untrue in the past 90 days.
- Who told you this last? On a scale of 1-5 with 5 being highest, how does this person rate on the scale of importance with you?
- Energize. The most effective part of Dancing to Dial Down Negativity is the adopt more positive energy. Doing it alone is extremely difficult. It takes effort, time, investment and a willingness to switch up the comfort of the uncomfortable. Reading elevated material, listening to inspirational podcasts, and changing your tribe all helps. By far, working with a coach or consultant will quicken the pace of your transition to releasing your negativity and allowing positivity to reign. When you are able to actually hear back what you are saying life changes life changing how differently your words sound when they are repeated back to you. Like a radio at one time tuned to static, then moved to the right station, suddenly you hear the low energetic vibration, and you want to change it. That want is facilitated by someone who has your best interests at heart.
Since external negativity has a constant foot in the door, what can you do to limit the time you spend with internal negativity? Could you dial it back this week? Which of the above 5 resonates enough to make you want to dance?
Find one. Put on your favorite tunes. Kick up your heels. And dance!
Chatone Morrison ©2017
Are you a make it happen woman in public, in need of support around your mindset, image, motivation and self-talk in private? Are you ready to ease your way into releasing your negativity so your positivity can reign? I’d love to support you. Complete the questionnaire to apply for a free 20-minute strategy session with me.
For More on This Topic – Catch the Latest Episode of The Sunday Corner© Show on YouTube:
Coaching Website: ChatoneMorrison.com